“I have been having this weird white discharge every other day and I am really stressed about it as it appears every second day”. Sounds familiar?
This is the common sight and query at any Gynaecologists clinic shared by majority of female patients. Well, Relax. This white discharge is a sign that your vagina is doing absolutely great and you are fine. White discharge, part of natural system of vagina, acts as broom while cleaning the old & dead cells and fluids out from vagina. This is the natural way of your body to keep your vagina healthy, clean and infection free.
White discharge is produced naturally from the neck of the womb, known as the cervix and varies throughout menstrual cycle. So, vaginal discharge is perfectly normal and the amount can vary, as can odour and hue (its colour can range from clear to a milky whitish), depending on the time in your menstrual cycle.
For example, there will be more discharge if you are ovulating, breastfeeding, or are sexually aroused. The smell may be different if you are pregnant or you haven’t been diligent about your personal hygiene.
You need not to worry about white discharge until you feel some abnormality and it can be; the sudden change in the colour or smell of discharge is an indication of infection. The changes which can be warning signs are:
- a change in colour or consistency
- a sudden bad smell
- an unusually large amount of discharge
- another symptom alongside the discharge, such as itching outside your vagina or pain in your pelvis or tummy
- unexpected bleeding from the vagina
The reason for abnormal discharge can be many which may be related to your lifestyle or medical conditions like:
- Using Antibiotic
- Infection due to pregnancy
- Having multiple sexual partners
- Using birth control pills
- Sexually Transmitted Disease
- Pelvic infection after surgery
- Sometimes caused by having unprotected sex
- Thinning and drying out of the vaginal walls during menopause
- Irritation in or around the vagina
- Yeast infections
Here are some tips for preventing vaginal infections that can lead to abnormal discharge:
- First of all you should know what normal discharge looks like and its smell so that when there is any change you can actually differentiate it; It will be clear or milky in appearance
- Wash your vagina regularly with a gentle, mild soap and warm water. You can use some vaginal health products like Everteen which helps in maintaining vaginal health and hygiene.
- Never use scented soaps and feminine products or douche. Also avoid feminine sprays and bubble baths. Always use only natural intimate wash.
- After going to the bathroom, always wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria from getting into the vagina and causing an infection.
- Follow appropriate vaginal hygiene habits like wash your vagina everyday with everteen natural intimate wash so as to keep your vagina clean and free from unpleasant odor or vaginal itching.
- Wear 100% cotton underpants, and avoid overly tight clothing.
So next time when you see white discharge, greet it with smile as it’s a guard preventing your vagina from infections. Just keep a watch that this guard does not change the color or smell, in case it does, we recommend you to consult a doctor.