Pregnancy is not only associated with the new life that comes inside a woman but it also witnesses a lot of hormonal and physical changes inside a woman’s body. Apart from all these changes which can be seen there are other types of problems which are prone to occur during pregnancy. Among the most common ones yeast infections are the mostly occurring which bother a pregnant woman.
Vaginal discharge is very common during pregnancy and especially during the second trimester. As we already know about the vaginal environment which contains both good and bad bacteria so as to maintain a proper balance of the vaginal pH. This disturbance in the natural environment of the vaginal area is the main reason to cause several infections in it.
During pregnancy the body prepares itself to be capable enough to carry a new life for 40 weeks with the help of certain hormonal secretions which are released in accordance with the developing embryo. Sometimes these hormones influence the area surrounding the vagina as a result of which the bad bacteria present in the vagina are active and they cause infections.
This type of infection occurs when the level of acidic medium and yeast in the vagina is abnormal. This provides a suitable environment for the yeast overgrowth which is responsible for the yeast infections during pregnancy.
Yeast infections are more common during pregnancy because the vaginal and hormonal secretions help the bad bacteria already present in the vagina to feed well and overgrow causing infection and irritation.
Reasons which cause yeast infection-
- Hormonal imbalance during pregnancy-
During pregnancy there is a high level of estrogen in the body which causes the vagina to produce more of the sugar content i.e. Glycogen, which serves to be the ground for the over population of yeast.
Anti-biotic medicines tend to affect the population of good bacteria along with working upon the bad bacteria present in the vagina which naturally upsets the normal balance of bacteria in the vaginal area which is also a reason for yeast infection.
Using birth control pills may be also a reason for the yeast infections in woman. As these pills are made of certain hormones like estrogen which acts on the production of egg from the ovaries. This is likely possible that the hormonal intake disturbs the vaginal balance sometimes and causes yeast infection.
Increase in the sugar level in the body also affects the vaginal area as sugar is the feeding ground for yeast and they multiply during that process thus causing infection in the vaginal area.
- Ø Pain and irritation in the vagina
- Ø Itching and scaly feeling
- Ø Swelling and redness of vagina
- Ø Thick white-yellow discharge from the vagina
- Ø Feeling burning sensation during urinating
- Ø Discomfort or pain while sexual intercourse
- Ø Treating yeast infections during pregnancy is not an easy task as only vaginal creams or ointments are the best recommended treatments during that time.
- Ø Oral treatments with help of anti biotic medicines are not at all safe or advised during pregnancy or lactation.
- Ø Yeast infections should be treated at the immediate as it may spread to the baby’s mouth.
Steps to prevent Yeast Infections during Pregnancy –
- Ø It is important to wear loose, comfortable cotton underwear during pregnancy. Avoid synthetic under garments during the whole duration of 40 weeks.
- Ø It is important to keep the genital area dry after washing it properly with an intimate was.
- Ø Do not use vaginal sprays of perfumed cleansing gels to keep the vagina clean. This may put an adverse effect on the vaginal balance.
- Ø Eat lots of yoghurt during pregnancy so that it will keep you protected from the infections of the vagina.
- Ø It is important to lower the sugar intake during pregnancy as it may be the greatest reason for yeast infections to increase their population.
- Ø Always wipe the vagina from front to back so that there are no chances of bacteria travelling into the vagina .Regular use of intimate wash is necessary especially the ones which is soap, SLS and SLES free.
- Ø It is important to clean the vagina gently with warm water during pregnancy.
- Ø Always make sure to change clothes after swimming or gym as they may cause infections to the intimate area.
It is important to consult your doctor to make sure that you are suffering from yeast infection and accordingly take proper medication to cure that. The above mentioned preventive measures should be strictly followed in order to keep the infections away during pregnancy.
Are you aware of Pregnancy yeast infection ?
You might like reading these also:-
- 7 Valentine’s Day Gift For Your Wife
- 5 Ways To Keep Your Lover Happy
- 10 Must Have Things In Your Shopping Bag
- Must Have Items In Your Diaper Bag
- How To Stay Fit During Pregnancy