The reproductive system of a woman is much more complex in nature in comparison to man. It is mainly because it is the female who carries the baby inside her body and nurtures it for a period of nine months. This is basically the reason that women have evolved to have a complex reproductive system.
We all are aware of the basic reproductive organs of a female reproductive system which comprises of ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, cervix, and vagina. Ovaries are the main organs which are responsible for the fertility among females. There are two ovaries on each side of the uterus inside the body of women which produces tiny eggs over a cycle of 28 days. The cycle of release of eggs is known as ovulation. This egg is fertilized by the male reproductive cell i.e. sperm so as to develop it into a single celled body known as zygote. This zygote further develops into a multi-cellular embryo and develops to form a baby after a period of 40 weeks.
Sometimes there are several hindrances in the process of fertilization i.e. the union of egg and sperm and results in complications in the reproductive system. At times, there is no production of eggs from the ovaries or the fallopian tubes are blocked at times which hinder the process of fertilization.
Here we will know about one of the common problems of the female reproductive system which is Ovarian Cyst.
An ovarian cyst is a fluid filled membrane which develops inside or on the surface of ovaries. The cyst contains fluid or solid or sometimes both. Ovarian cysts can be single or multiple and can be developed on both the ovaries. It is very common among women of 30-60 years of age when the women is capable of bearing child.
Process of formation of Ovarian Cyst–
Ovarian cysts are formed when the follicle, in which the eggs mature, fails to rupture in order to release the egg. If the egg gets released the follicle changes to a smaller size but if the follicle fails to rupture and doesn’t release the egg, it eventually forms cysts.
Now it is essential to know the different types of ovarian cysts which are known to occur in the females. They are-
Ø Functional cysts
Ø Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Ø Endometrial cysts
Ø Dermoid Cysts
Cause of Ovarian Cysts-
Hormonal imbalance is attributed to be the main reason for causing ovarian cysts in females. This hormonal imbalance may be hereditary or may be a result of over stimulation of the reproductive system, due to the use of fertility drugs. Below are a few causes of ovarian cysts-
- Ø Increasing age
- Ø Obesity
- Ø Smoking
- Ø Hormonal replacements or therapy
- Ø Family history of ovarian or breast cancer
Remedies for Ovarian Cyst-
The treatment of ovarian cysts is decide by the size and type of cysts formed in the body.
- Functional cysts are the most common and harmless cysts formed in females and as such no treatment is required for this type of cyst as it dissolves eventually within a period of 8-12 weeks. The cyst size grows up to 2 inches and then dissolves by itself.
- In case the cyst is still growing, the doctors suggest hormonal pills to inhibit the hormonal secretions which promote the growth of cysts.
- In another kind of ovarian cyst which is the polycystic ovarian syndrome, the major issue which arises due to it is the infertility in women. So, the doctors may prescribe fertility pills to stimulate ovulation. In some cases where PCOS causes no menstruation, the doctor may advise to take medications which will regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Other ovarian cysts can be treated by taking them out with the help or surgery as there is a fear that they may be of cancerous origin so it is best to get them out completely.
- There are a lot of herbal remedies like False unicorn, wild yam etc. which act as hormone regulating agents and help in normal functioning of the female reproductive system. These herbs should be taken on expert advice only and pregnant or lactating women should strictly not use these herbs.Also maintaining vaginal hygiene is highly recommended to prevent any kind of infection. It is advisable to wash vagina with a good quality natural intimate wash which does not contain any chemicals, soaps or SLS as soap can aggravate the infection in vaginal area.
- Homeopathy is another holistic way to get rid of ovarian cysts as it doesn’t have side effects. There are several homeopathic medicines which shrink the size of cysts form and treat them too.
So, this was all about ovarian cysts, their formation, causes, and remedies for the proper treatment.
You might like reading these also:-